Smoked Pork Belly on a ‘Triple C’ Waffle (Cheddar, Chives & Cornmeal)
With its rich texture and flavor, pork belly continues to be popular with diners and home chefs alike. Combine it with a waffle made with cheddar, chives and cornmeal and you’ve created something fun and delicious that you and your family will love. And, be sure to watch for pork belly on restaurant menus for a rich treat.
You can learn more about pork belly at Pork Belly 101.
For the waffles:
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 cup Cornmeal
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp Ground black pepper
2 cups Buttermilk
2 eggs Separated
2 Tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp Honey
¾ cup Sharp cheddar cheese
¼ cup Fresh chopped chives
For Lime Crema:
1 cup Darigold Mexican Sour Crema
Juice of one lime
1. Preheat Belgian-style waffle iron until hot.
2. In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and both ground peppers)
3. In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, egg yolks, melted butter and honey and stir together.
4. In a third small bowl, whip egg whites until they for soft peaks
5. Stir the buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients until just incorporated
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter, then the cheddar and chives until just combined
7. Cover waffle iron grids with pan release spray and add about half the batter, spread as needed to cover grid. Cook as directed by iron instructions and hold warm as needed
1. Combine sour cream and lime juice and place in squeeze bottle
1. While waffles are cooking, brown pork belly in a hot pan to crisp the edges
2. Crisscross waffle with 2 slices of pork belly, scoop ¼ cup salsa onto the center.
3. Drizzle a zigzag of crema over the entire top of the waffle and garnish with chopped cilantro and 2 lime wedges
Makes 2 waffles
-Recipe by Dan Horne-
For a great review on chef knives see this resource: https://www.reviews.com/chef-knife/